Saturday, June 4, 2011

Battery Full (from New AAPA11 Blogger Marylou Hernandez)

Some of my PA colleagues who don’t attend the AAPA Conference question me as to why I bother to travel to our national meeting. Why not be satisfied with local CME?  It is hard to convey the feeling I get on opening day. Words just don’t seem to do it justice, but I’ll try here.
We all can relate to those low energy days during a long day or long week of taking care of our patients.  Sometimes it is emotional exhaustion and not just tired achy feet.  At the end of some days you might even question your own dedication or path. Every year at the opening day general assembly, I have no such fatigue or questions.  The energy in that room surrounded by your peers is unmatched. It is an opportunity to reaffirm your commitment to your patients and our profession. 
The program is always filled with inspiring stories, humor, and compassion. We are reminded why we do what we do. My heart becomes full. My focus is sharpened; I get to admire my colleagues and aspire to live up to the mission, vision and values of our profession. 
My battery gets recharged to full capacity. I am buoyed along the rest of the year by that positive energy I’ve absorbed over the week of events and lectures. I can call on the memory of what I saw, heard, and felt whenever my professional day gets tough.  Just about the time a little fatigue sets in it is conference time all over again!  Days like opening day at the AAPA conferences are not to be missed in my humble opinion.
Marylou Hernandez PA-C

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! This was my first conference and I'm excited to register for next year's! Opening ceremonies was amazing and it was a really great experience meeting PAs from across the world (!) and fellow students!

    Tree Marsoobian PA-S1

    ReplyDelete