Sunday, May 29, 2011

Welcome PA Eric Smith to the AAPA11 Blogging Family: The AAPA House of Delegates- A Reflection

As I finish packing my bags for Vegas and prepare for my Monday afternoon flight to the City of Lights, I have quite a bit of excitement fueling me for the week to come.  For one, of course, I am heading to Las Vegas… one of the most exciting places in all the world to be, and the city that my wife and I tied the knot in only 8 years ago (Little Chapel of the Flowers!!!).  This city brings back so many amazing memories for my wife and I, and I would be lying if I said that we haven’t been looking forward to this trip for at least the past couple years.  However, I’m also excited for my prime reason for being in Vegas this year… attending the AAPA House of Delegates for what will be my sixth year.  I have been a Delegate of Florida throughout these years, but this year will also be in attendance as Chair of the Constituent Relations Work Group (known by most as CRC… more recently dubbed CRWG).  There is a lot of work on the agenda, and little doubt in my mind that the resolutions going forward from our committee will spark considerable debate, however it is all still quite exciting to me after all these years.  The whole process makes me reflect on how this little 3-day meeting every year seems to bring me such anticipation. 

I remember my first HOD five years ago.  To say I felt in way over my head would be the understatement of the year.  Arguments were sizzling, counterpoints were flying, votes on the amended amendment to the amended resolution were being taken… it was organized chaos!  One of my esteemed veteran fellow delegates leaned over to me during one of the sessions, noticing the perplexed look on my face, and said “when this is all said and done, you will either love this whole thing or hate it.”  She was right.  Turns out, I loved it.  By my second HOD, I was completely aware of everything going on and felt far more prepared than my first.  By my third HOD, I was in the mix, standing behind the mic to make arguments and counterpoints of my own.  Before long, I was helping write resolutions of our delegation’s own.  And last year I had my first term on CRC, helping review policy that too would be debated before the House.  This year, as I again represent the great state of Florida, as well as the CRC that I have chaired for the past year, I feel my time with the HOD has come full circle.  The excitement is still there… the passion has never left.  While some may see this whole process as “boring” or “dull”, I see just the opposite.  I see PAs standing strong for what they believe in, what their vision of the PA Profession is, and what direction they believe our Academy should go in to make that vision a reality.  No viewpoints heard on the House Floor during these glorious three days are ever “wrong”… they are all unique and hold merit.  However it will be the majority of the great leaders of this Academy who decide which of these visions and policy statements are the ones that carry our profession into the future.  Sorry if some folks out there see that as boring or dull.  For me, it is quite the contrary. 

It is sure to be another great HOD this week.  For all you newbies out there… enjoy the ride!  You are either going to love it, or hate it.  Just be prepared though… if you love it, it will have a hold on you forever!

Eric S. Smith, MMS, PA-C
CRC Chair
Delegate-Florida





1 comment:

  1. Well said, Eric. And oh so very true! I'm really missing it this year.

    ReplyDelete